Friday, November 01, 2013

doilies and lace

 So Cornelia was finished last Sunday.

Snowflake doily has some more snowflakes completed...but I used a different shade of yellow for some of them. I know some tatting friends would cut and throw...but I will probably just aim for symmetry.
 This is three hours work! Yes ground lace is slow progress.
112 bobbins...I thought that impressive...
 Then I had a go at this butterfly, which was not only lots of bobbins, but all running in different directions. There are quite a few mistakes not least being the choice of thread, which was much thicker than the pattern called for. Rule 1, obey the  instructions. :)
So this is the first wing finished, and I took about five days to get this far.

6 comments:

Marty said...

Love Cornelia -- it looks great. I can' see the different yellows on your snowflakes (maybe it's the picture). Bobbin lace is looking really complicated. What do you do with all the thread ends?

Fox said...

Loving Cornelia!

Ground lace (?) makes me weak in the knees.... Goid fir you!

Fox : )

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Cornelia is gorgeous! I'm impressed that you can keep track of so many bobbins!

Katherine said...

I wish I had a reply to each comment facility on this layout!
Anyway, Marty, the ends, the ends! That is indeed a problem. It seems that one is meant to just tie the pairs together and cut...as you can see it makes a rather messy end on the body, and a bit lumpy on the wing. It has ever been the problem that in lessons we never manage to finish, so are left to muddle along at home. I think she should offer a lesson just about finishing...but possibly that wouldn't be very popular!
Fox, ground lace will look much prettier once it has been removed from the pillow...and once you get the hang of it, it is quite relaxing!well, sort of. Though I really hate interruptions!
Diane, keeping track of the bobbins on the butterfly was quite difficult, adding in and throwing out pairs, following the various plaits, it might not be perfect, but I do feel a sense of achievement just to have got this far. :)





















Jane McLellan said...

No, you certainly mustn't do any cutting! The different yellows don't show in the picture, symmetry would be the answer. I love your lace butterfly, really gorgeous. You're making good progress on your WIPs.

God's Kid said...

Wonderful doilies!!! :)