Saturday, July 24, 2010

I have been making things...except nothing seems quite finished!

After the lace class I wanted to have my own traveling roller pillow, and when I asked Elly where she bought hers from she said she made them. She said she didn't have a pattern, she just made it up with bits she had around, so I juggled some ideas around on an envelope, and with much help from David, I made this! (For some reason I cannot get the photos to stay where I want them today!)

This is what it looked like once it had been stuffed with straw.
This is the basic wooden framework.
Another view of the stuffed frame.
And here we are with the beginnings of the fabric cover, and the roller, covered with an old felted sweater.
I have also been trying the new threads I received via the thread exchange. This square lacks the final round, because I find split chains so difficult! I have decided to cut and tie, after making two really miserable attempts on the first two rounds.
Magnolia HDT made into Meadow Square from the book by Sharon Briggs.
This "star" from Mary Konior's Tatting Patterns is made from Pear Glacé sent by Miranda.
Trying to tat with beads.
Fox very kindly sent some beads and a threader thing, so despite the fact I am not very good at that sort of thing I began this motif by Pascale is made in the size 80 Majestic colour Teal from Miranda. I think the beads compliment the colour very well. :) Despite the threader, (which I lost, when we had a thunderstorm and I had to bring my stuff in, in a hurry) I find wriggling the beads onto the picots extremely fiddly, I can't help feeling I must be doing it wrong.

Camomile from Tatting Patterns by Mary Konior
This edging is called Camomile, and is made using some vintage thread I found on a market stall. It is DMC special dentelles size 70, and a pretty pinky colour. I bought several threads, but when I looked at them once I was home I wasn't sure how useful any of them might be for tatting. Still, I will probably try them all in time.