Friday, May 30, 2008

A New Book


I bought this book a week ago, via Amazon.fr and I have to say I can't really recommend it. It suggests it's a book for beginners, and indeed it has five pages of instructions, but I couldn't really say if they were easy to follow, being as I know that bit. Then there are some patterns, which are in general very pretty, but then we hit the problems. On some patterns there isn't even a stitch count on the diagram, let alone a suggestion of where to start or what order you should tat. There isn't much on whether you should use one or two shuttles or any other techniques.

Here are a couple of stars from a very pretty doiley pattern called Rose
one done with me discovering after I had begun that I should have wound two shuttles in CTM and managing by using the SLT. Then, serendipity, as Jon showed how to do self-closing mock rings, and so I tried that as an alternative method. I think it was successful and am not even sure now which is which.
The bootees are coming along slowly, one is finished and one is on the third row, but I am running out of thread! Who else struggles to make their thread last, like driving home really fast before the petrol runs out!
Also, does anyone have time to explain how to get an E-Tatters banner on this page? I see others have done it, but have no idea where to start!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. It looks like a fun book. Both of your stars look very nice.

Marty said...

Are there any photographs of the work in your new book, Snowy? If so, are any of them large enough to see the stitch counts? Or you could just experiment then write the counts that work best for you on the diagrams. That sounds like a strange way to make a book. I do like your two little stars!

Katherine said...

Yes there are photos and I did note down the stitch count after examining them with my magnifyer.
I don't mind so much, working out pattern puzzles is quite fun, but I feel it is misleading to describe it as a book for beginners. It's a pity because there are too few books on tatting in french.

Sandrine said...

Hello !
You're totally right, I'm french, and a newbie in tatting. I bought this book two weeks ago, and I despair of doing some samples !! I've just done the method with two shuttles, and I'd like to do the "bookmark", because it seems easy but there is no indication on doing it !! So I wander about like a lost soul in the net to find some samples and some wonderful tatters !
I hope my english is not too bad...
See you soon !!

Katherine said...

Sandrine, your english is excellent. Yes the diagramme for the bookmark is very frustrating...I think it's just a shuttle and ball pattern with 10dk-p-10dk for the rings, and 2dk then 10 picots, 2 dk then the next ring.
A much better book is La Frivolité, Dentelle aux Navettes, which I reviewed in my blog August 18th 2007, and then there are some patterns from it afterwards...(If you wanted to send me your e-mail address I could scan a couple to give you an idea?)
It's lovely to meet a french tatter, bienvenue!