Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Laura and lace



A couple of weeks ago I gaily suggested to

Laura that bobbin lace was an easy hobby...well, yes, it is easy, like tatting is easy, that is the basic principle behind it is just "lift right over left", the problems only occur when you try to do something with it! I learnt the basic technique in 2003, but have actually done very little because the carreau, or galette, (or whatever they're called in english) are not all that easy to carry around! For the last 15 months I have been concentrating on tatting, so I decided to dig out my bobbins and have a go at a simple bookmark. Compared to virtuosos like Mark it's not very impressive, but I was relieved to find that I hadn't completely forgotten the technique. The edging on the carreau is one I had been working on previously, as I practised adding replacement bobbins and doing tallies. The picture quality isn't very good, autumn has arrived here and the light is fading fast!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm not a bobbin lacer, but I believe the thing that the pattern pricking is attached to, is called a roller pillow and the little sticks the thread is wrapped on are called bobbins. Bobbin lacers usually refer to the thing that they stick pins into as a pillow, but the ones that have a section that rolls so that you can do yards of edgings is referred to as a roller pillow. For transporting and storage it usually has a rectangle of stiff fabric that is laid across the bobbins to keep them from rolling around, that is called a cover cloth. They might be some of the words you are looking for. Or maybe not :-)

Tattycat said...

I am so glad you posted the pictures for me, and others, to see. The lace is pretty, but I will never know how anyone keeps up with which bobbin they need. I must check that out one day. I find the bobbins absolutely fascinating! I would probably enjoy making the bobbins in my woodshop!

Katherine said...

Sharon, pillow was the word I was searching for! I couldn't think of it. I agree, it is possible to move, but I would get funny looks if I brought it to work, whereas my tatting is just my little secret! I don't smoke, so when others take a cigarette break, I feel I'm allowed a tatting break.
Laura, you must consider making bobbins! Have you got a lathe? I'm sure people would be keen to buy them.
When you start making lace it really helps to have spangled bobbins, as the beads help you remember which is which.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I have always admired bobbin lace. I even purchased a kit, but that's as far as I've gone. I'm glad you posted the pictures too! I love lace of any kind and really admire those who have tried their hand at different techniques!