Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Green doodles

I have been playing with Sherry's "rainforest", with the idea of making one of Anne's dragons, but first I had to learn Single Shuttle Split Rings. That was kind of fiddly.
I decided I had understood enough to start, but then made a mistake on the stitch count, and then the thread snapped when I was pulling the ring tight. I wonder if anyone else has the problem of gaps between the rings, I think I have pulled up close but by the time the ring is pulled tight there is a big space.

I decided to abandon the dragon for the moment and see how it would look to combine the "rainforest" with a machine embroidery thread, which seems much finer, so I had a go at an edging from Mary Konior's book. I don't think it can be the different sizes that causes it to curve like that, but any way I have finished the shuttle, and I certainly like the colour combination.

You need really to click and enlarge the photo, the rainforest is 80, and the machine thread is Gutermann Sulky, probably about 100.

(By the way I used Tattingchic's method for thread winding, putting a cushion inside the skein, and it worked really well, despite interruptions from phone and dogs!)


Jeff Hamilton said...

Hi Snowy,

Your attempts as Anne dragon and the edging are looking good. You can easily use regular split rings for the dragon. I'm not sure why Anne chose to use the SSSR. Rainforest is a good choice for the dragon.

TattingChic said...

The thread you're using looks very nice. Glad to hear that using the small pillow helped! Happy tatting and lacing and stuff! :)

snowy said...

Thank you for your comment Jeff, I did wonder if it would be OK to just use ordinary split rings...I think I'll try like that, certainly for the first one.

Thanks Tattingchic, for the encouragement, and your hints.

Gina said...

I used regular split rings too.
I don't think you'll have to worry about that gap if you use them instead.

Jeff Hamilton said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. All the dragons I have made used regular split rings. They work flawlessly in the pattern; no changes need to be made.